“Inspiration is hard to come by. You have to take it where you find it.” – Bob Dylan
Who knew the first podcast service provider, Liberated Syndication, launched in 2004? In 2005, Apple iTunes 4.9 released with support for podcasts (internationalpodcastday.com). I’ve always known about podcasts and what they are but have really never been a regular listener. When they first debuted, I was just finishing high school and starting college. I can’t believe that was fourteen years ago!
When I think of podcasts, I definitely don’t think of them being fourteen years old! Lately, I’ve been hearing more people around me talk about listening to podcasts. I also know a lot of the influencers, bloggers, and motivational/self-improvement figures I follow have podcasts. I started really listening recently, when I was seeking extra motivation for fitness, personal goals and development, and healthier eating advice.
Perks of Listening to Podcasts:
1. Inspiration & Motivation
- There are many podcasts for health and fitness, some of which can be very entertaining and make you want to listen and do better!
- If you are someone who has a passion or business you want to pursue, there are many to help you follow your dreams.
- Personal growth and self-improvement is a big genre with many options, depending on what you want to work on and improve.
2. Social Media and TV Substitute
- You won’t miss the TV so much!
- We could all use a break from social media. Let’s face it, it seems to be taking over so much of our time. Podcasts are a great replacement for some of that time.
- Fill the time with motivation and educating yourself instead… with a little entertainment along the way!
3. Make Tasks Less Stressful
- Listening to a podcasts makes the time pass so much faster! A recent example of mine is listening while I cook. I actually can’t stand cooking but am trying to do it more to be healthier and save money. If I listen to a motivational podcast while I cook, I find it more enjoyable!
- Getting ready for work and the drive there will both go more quickly.
- Mundane, day-to-day tasks such as cleaning, doing laundry, or catching up on email will be easier than they used to be.
- Learn more about a specific topic or skill by listening to a show regularly.
- Many podcasts are geared toward career development or business .
- Entrepreneurs can learn a lot about getting started and how to survive!
- Many podcasters are very amusing and entertaining, making it fun to learn something new or even find out more about becoming healthy.
- They serve as a great distraction from the everyday mundane routines, tasks, and stress.
- Becoming a regular listener is practically guaranteed to help you relax and wind down, in a world filled with busy schedules and chaos!
My recent habit of becoming a podcast listener – to a huge variety of shows and topics – has helped me keep going, when I am struggling with something or losing motivation. Depending on what you’re seeking or in the mood for, there are so many choices. Choosing a different topic or show for each day of the week would prevent boredom.
As I mentioned, with the help of a few podcasts, I have sought out the motivation I’ve needed recently to pursue a healthier lifestyle. Maybe more importantly, they help me with finding, or making, the time to write. Both of these areas are hard to intentionally make time for with a regular schedule and other areas of life to balance. I hope you will seek out at least one show to try soon, whether it’s for entertainment or motivation!